Sports Studies/Outdoor Education BTEC
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Sport
Who is it for?
Those who are dedicated to pursuing sport or outdoor education to a higher level. This is a coursework dominated course and will involve a large commitment to individual study. A commitment to extracurricular sport is an essential requirement to accessing the course and a dedicated attitude to all aspects of sport is necessary for successful application.
The general entrance requirements apply, plus grade 4,4 in science and a 4 at GCSE Physical Education or Merit,Merit at BTEC Level 2.
Course content (what will I study?)
- Unit 3 – Professional development in the sports industry
- Unit 7 – Practical sports performance
- Unit 1 – Anatomy and Physiology
- Unit 2 – Fitness training and programming for health, sport and wellbeing
A variety of methods will be used including group discussions, case studies, practical performance, work based assignments, presentations, plan and deliver activities for others, observation and analysis, project work and time constrained written tasks. A grading of Pass, Merit & Distinction will be applied to all assignments using defined criteria and specified learning outcomes. All units are internally assessed and verified.
Unit breakdown of assessment:
- Unit 1 – Anatomy and Physiology (1.5 hour exam)
- Unit 2 – Fitness training and programming for health, sport and wellbeing (2 hour controlled assessment)
- Unit 3 – Professional development in the sports industry (internal assessment)
- Unit 7 – Practical sports performance (internal assessment)
No additional costs are required
For the outdoor education option a course contribution of £60 is asked for to contribute towards equipment and transport costs
Career Prospects: What could this qualification lead to at the end of Year 13?
- Studying sport to degree level at university
- Career in fitness industry subject to acquiring extra fitness qualifications.
- Working as a sports coach (accessing coaching courses offered by Sports Hub would be an advantage)
- Working for local authority in sports development unit.
For further information please contact: